Popular with Other Fans

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Damn search weightings


I was all geared up to make my website live today. I mean it has a lot of things to tweak, but the functionality is solid, all the links work and it's compliant with the major browsers. What could be wrong?

Well, like a tech-head idiot I decided to read some lengthy documentation and then some articles about search weighting in Google and other major browsers. Wow! Great stuff. Of course then I realized that I was doing almost everything the wrong way to rank highly in searches. Okay, not everything. I'm smart enough to fill in my alt tags and such but holy cripes was I missing out on some major things.

The solution of course is to re-tool everything before the web-crawlers start hitting the pages. I can't have a page up that gets crawled and indexes all wrong,

The good news is that all the major issue have been resolved and now it's a matter of linking everything back up that no longer connects. It took the better part of the day and delayed a clip update, but I'm back on track. To console myself I made a new site logo ... I'm pleased with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment