Popular with Other Fans

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Adding depth to your video

Amaya Solace in Strict Bondage
To each their own but I don't understand why so many videos just focus on the model and sometimes if your lucky a background. I mean yeah the idea is to showcase the model, but the whole thing is about struggle and tension and drama. Now I will fully admit that before I had nice equipment I had to do just that because of focus issues, but once I could control my focus I added an interesting element: foreground elements.

When telling a story sometimes you want push the damsel back and get some things showing in the foreground. Yeah, you even want to partially obscure her for a little bit. Insane you say, but I disagree. Pulling back and showing foreground elements lets the viewer understand the damsel is part of a larger world. She doesn't exist in a tiny corner with a couch, 200 feet of rope and a gag. There's an entire room with drawers that might have scissors, end tables that hold tape and a phone that she knows is there. She's tied so tight she can't make it to the phone. Her hands are numb so she can't open the drawer. What is he going to do with that tape?

Part of story-telling is not just about showing the story, it's about setting up elements that let the viewer paint scenarios in their mind. It gives you the ability to show that things will get more intense because he still has more rope. That applies to audio as well. I have a bunch of pre-recorded audio of me fumbling around on my desk an in my office. You'd be amazed at what that adds to a sound-track that is very dry. The moral: don't be afraid to let the viewer know there's only a damsel. Give them hints at the bigger world and you might find that her dilemma becomes all the more compelling!

Pinched and Pawed in Pink with Amaya Solace made available by Ted Michels Damsels.

No comments:

Post a Comment